Personalized services tailored to the specific needs of each client. You can count on our experts to propose simplified solutions, compliant with regulations to bring you peace of mind.
- Value for duty
- Tariff classification
- Advance ruling requests
- Origin criteria
- Drawback and Duty Deferral
- Request for Tariff Relief
- Appeals with CBSA and CITT
- Regulations of other government departments (OGD)
- Customs compliance
- Free Trade Agreements
- Customs programs (CSA, C-TPAT, PIP).
As an importer, are you managing customs compliance by rolling the dices or by controlling the risks?
With the introduction of the Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS), penalties for non-compliant customs declarations have become a reality affecting all parties subject to various regulations.
If you are uncertain or unaware of the financial risks concerning AMPS, make sure you get the information to understand your obligations and evaluate your position regarding compliance.
Axxess is very conscious of the importance of its clients to be in compliance with Customs. Our role is to protect your interests, provide expert advice and make sure the tariff classification, the origin and the customs value of the declared goods are compliant with the regulation.
We can conduct an assessment of your activities, simulate onsite CBSA* audits and prepare compliance plans to match your specific needs. If you wish to become a low risk importer, don’t hesitate to contact our experts for more information.
- Revision of importer profiles
- Preparation of compliance plans
- Risk assessments
- Analysis of other government departments requirements (OGD)
- Analysis and review of the various Free Trade Agreements
Here are some examples of the penalties (AMPS)
- C336 – Failed to pay duties on goods accounted for
- C005 – Failed to provide true, accurate and complete information
- C071 – Failed to provide permit/certificate or information before goods are released
- C066 – Removed unreleased goods from a bonded warehouse or duty free shop
- C082 – Importer failed to correct tariff classification within 90 days (No duty and/or tax owing)
- C352 – Importer failed to correct tariff classification within 90 days (Duties and/or taxes owing)
- C274 – Goods reported as arrived, when they are not arrived
- C345 – Exporter failed to report goods subject to export control prior to export
See the CBSA Master Penalty document for all details.
The Free Trade Agreements of Canada
Canada has negotiated and concluded many Free Trade Agreements with different countries since 1989.
Here is the list of the Agreements and their status:
FTA’s in force:
- Canada – Korea– January 1st , 2015
- Canada – Honduras– October 1st , 2014
- Canada – Panama– April 1st , 2013
- Canada – Jordan– October 1st , 2012
- Canada – Colombia– August 15th, 2011
- Canada – Perou– August 1st, 2009
- Canada – European Free Trade Association– July 1st, 2009
- Canada – Costa Rica– November 1st , 2002
- Canada – Chili– July 5th, 1997
- Canada – Israel– January 1st, 1997
- NAFTA – January 1st, 1994
- Canada – United States – January 1st, 1989
- Canada – Trans-Pacific Partnership – October 2015
- Canada – Ukraine– July 14th, 2015
- Canada – European Union – August 5th, 2014
The last agreements concluded in 2015 and 2014 are under the ratification process by all countries members.
Axxess can provide you expertise on the regulation and assist you in reviewing the benefits of the various Trade Agreements concluded by Canada.
Customs Self-Assessment Program (CSA)
The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has introduced the Customs Self-Assessment (CSA) program in 2001 to offer a progressive trade option to importers.
The CSA program:
- Allows approved importers to benefit from a streamlined accounting and simplified payment process for all imported goods.
- Enables approved importers, approved carriers, and registered drivers to take advantage of a streamlined clearance option for CSA eligible goods.
OUR CONSULTING EXPERTS CAN OFFER YOU THE FOLLOWING SERVICES
- CSA Business Case Evaluation (e.g. risk assessment and business systems).
- CSA Project Support, implementation and post-audits.
Axxess can guide you in this process with experienced CSA specialists and an operational platform used by CSA recognized importers since 2001.
Don’t hesitate to contact our experts, for any questions or help.